Friday 12 October 2012

More House Hunting Hell

Last time out my husband was in the burning grip of a viral infection. Not to be out done, on our current trip I have wilted from the lingering effects of bronchitis. "Mother's weak chest" as it is so dismissively referred to by the rest of the family,  is the legacy of a childhood  spent in a charming but chronically damp 17th century English farmhouse. Thus a hint of damp in any structure can send me into a tailspin. Alas, such was the case regarding house B, as featured in my last post. We had our offer accepted, proceeded with an inspection, received the damning report, and through a paroxysm of coughing I indicated the need to call the thing off. Homeless again, and fading fast, I've begun to look longingly at the small cemetery we pass each time we drive into town. "Oh look at everyone having a nice nap," I think to myself, "Perhaps if I could just have a little lie down..."

We have decided to rent over the winter and see what comes onto the market in the Spring. Meanwhile I can't help wondering if the universe is trying to tell us something.

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like this definitely isn't meant to be right now. Perhaps some time away form all the house hunting will give you a chance to re-asses what you're really looking for. Do you need to be in a more arid climate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The women I've talked to express the 'it's not meant to be' opinion. Dr Bob on the other hand says 'it's testing our resolve". It would seem to be esoteric vs scientific. As for the climate, the bracing salt laden air seems to have cleared the nasal passages quite effectively.

      Delete
  2. Sorry the house didn't work out - but good to know now than live with a constant cough. I hope you find just the right home. House hunting can be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll forget about everything except Christmas, have a good time, and start afresh in the spring.

      Delete
  3. Susan, you poor thing! I'm sorry to hear that you're unwell and that the househunting has been disappointing.
    Your dream house is waiting for you but not just yet so I hope you get well soon and have a peaceful Winter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It was a bit of a nightmare but we have rented a lovely house. I am going to enjoy it for the next few months.

      Delete
  4. Dear Susan,

    Its horrible when you have your heart set on something, only to see it snatched away by something that is out of your control. Still, better to find out now rather than later.

    As a bronchitis sufferer myself, I understand completely how you must be feeling. Sage lozenges are the thing. Also Thyme cordial. They sound horrible but they certainly help me - and they are an all natural product!

    Get well soon

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirk. I was channeling my inner Camille all week, only I couldn't lay on a chaise longue in my empire gown. Honey is my go to product, but I will add sage and thyme to the regimen.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you have been "under the weather" as we say. Renting like you said might be the best way to mover forward. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, you're lucky the coughing fit came while you still had the chance to back out. Take your time! You will find the place of your dreams! Does it have to be on the island?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High River is looking pretty attractive right now.

      Delete
  7. Better to find out BEFORE you moved in. I hope you find the perfect place pretty soon. And I hope you feel better soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your lovely blog and became one of your newest followers. I hope you are feeling better and wish you best luck on your house hunt next Spring.
    Have a wonderful week ahead.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete