Saturday 2 November 2013

The Broccoli Dance

Customs tell a man who he is, where he belongs, what he must do. Better illogical customs than none; men cannot live together without them.  Robert A. Heinlein
All groups will have customs specific to themselves and nowhere is this more apparent than in isolated communities. Our intention has always been to go with the flow but recently I was temporarily wrong footed.  "Got your broccoli yet?" became the standard greeting around town. "Umm, no", I replied. Looks of disbelief followed by pity for the hapless newcomer. "Better get a move on" I was told darkly. On the drive home I noticed a large sign, "Broccoli has arrived".

Purple Sprouting Cardinal
West Coast Seeds
Were we expected to dance on the village green and slap each others' cheeks with broccoli to ensure the return of Spring? I grew up in the birthplace of dwile flonking so give me a little latitude here.

The Wedding Dance, 1566 by Pieter Bruegel The Elder
I cautiously raised the broccoli issue at work. Everyone, I was told, with emphasis on the everyone, plant their spring broccoli now. I didn't want to look completely useless so ventured that I had turnips overwintering. Looks were exchanged.

On the way home I stopped in at the garden centre. A few trays of purple sprouting broccoli languished on the shelves. "You've left it a bit late" I was admonished. "I didn't know", I wailed. They took me in hand.

Unbelievably, it seems everyone does plant broccoli. Well, maybe not everyone, but a lot of gardens, observed to be barren and neglected all summer, have sproutedas it were, a patch of broccoli.  My own plants are now safely tucked under a row cover as instructed. I am assured I will be feasting on it in early Spring.

17 comments:

  1. I missed the admonition to get broccoli to plant. That's one I haven't tried since I lived in Southern California way back in the early 1970s. I only did it once and it didn't turn out very well, and I haven't tried it since. It sounds like you plant seedlings vs. seeds, correct? Too late for this year, maybe next. What do you use for row covers? - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margy, I got a row cover from West Coast Seeds, http://www.westcoastseeds.com/product/Gardening-Supplies/Crop-Protection, catalog number ZRC504A. It may be a bit too heavy as it cuts out about 50% of the light.We take it off during the day. I find WCS very informative, they have a good planting guide for this area.

      Delete
  2. Well, at least you don't have to google information to figure out what to plant when! :) I wonder what else is "required planting"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will find out what we "should" be planting. People are generous with advice.

      Delete
  3. Clearly broccoli planting is an important rite of passage ! Have you got to eat it too ? At midnight, when the moon is new ? You will have to watch your neighbours very closely to make sure you don't miss it ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just never know around here. Fortunately I like eating broccoli.

      Delete
  4. How funny and odd. I would not do well there as i am not a big broccoli fan as it does not like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter was raised on broccoli as she was allergic to an enzyme in milk and broccoli was a source, albeit small, of calcium. I must ask her how she feels about it now. She may want to avoid visiting in the Spring.

      Delete
  5. How interesting Susan. Maybe you could introduce broccoli flonking to the community. Some people, like my husband who won't eat broccoli, would say that that is probably not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think broccoli haters may be first cousins to fruitcake haters. Fruitcake flonking might be a little dangerous but I'm willing to have a go with broccoli.

      Delete
  6. I have to share Donna's sentiments. What if you don't like broccoli of just don't feel like planting any? One major tradition in northern Virginia - which acts as a suburb of DC - is to rush to the nearest grocery store at the first threat of a single snowflake and buy bread, milk, and toilet paper. Panic and overspending are our regional talents. All those who don't participate are viewed with suspicion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm scrapping the barrel of my mind for leftovers from sociology 101. There is something in there about deviating from cultural norms. Hmm cutural-cult, must be a connection. Meanwhile I continue to be out of step, no doubt making everyone slightly uncomfortable.

      Delete
  7. I'm intrigued by those broccoli flowers. I've never seen them opening, only the closed buds glumly waiting to be eaten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh poor babies. I'll try not to think about it as I snip their litle heads off.

      Delete
  8. I don't know how much similarity there is in our gardening, I'm in SW Washington and not close to water, so if you are close to water you might have a milder climate. If I'm planting Broccoli, Kale, Turnips, Collards, etc. to overwinter I have to plant seeds by July 15 so they will get big enough by frost to make it through the winter. Plants could be planted later. I eat the greens and flower buds of these in early spring, then let them bloom for the bees, and go to seed.

    I know a BC gardener on the Gardenweb legumes forum named aftermidnight, you might learn some beans that do well there from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being close to the water does make a difference. I like the idea of letting the plants flower and go to seed. I'm all for attracting bees.

      Delete
  9. HA! Don't you just love the ways of man! Seriously! I often feel that way with other moms...typically they are aghast that I don't have the beans enrolled in the popular community activities. As for the broccoli this post just cracked me up! I am glad that you went for it and I am so excited to hear how your crop goes...nothing like being pushed into it with both hands!!!! And I just love that Wedding Dance painting! It is so festive and rich!!! A very happy week to you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete