Sunday 21 August 2016

Ouch!

The most exciting thing this week was getting stung by a wasp.
We took our visitors on my favourite hike to Mermaid Cove. Ferns, lichen covered logs, fungi, hanging moss and towering trees make for an interesting walk. Eventually, the sea can be glimpsed through the trees until finally it opens up to a small cove. I had just said how much I loved the location when zap, out of nowhere came a very angry wasp who proceeded to sting me on the ankle.

As I react badly to stings I went in to full panic mode. Fortunately the ever resourceful guide leader daughter remained calm, whipped out a credit card, removed the sting and poured ice cold water over the site. Then the Prof put his powerful thumbs to work squeezing out the venom. Usually the limb swells up like a balloon but thanks to the excellent care of my family I was able to continue hiking. We hope the adorable grandchild will forget the shocking words uttered by Grammy in the heat of the moment.

At the first garden club exec meeting of the new term everything was going along nicely until the social chairperson baldly announced her team had decided not to do the two social events of the year.

There was a stunned silence and some spilt tea.

yes, there is a mermaid
courtesy tourism powell river








15 comments:

  1. The Adorable Grandchild may have a new and interesting word for that buzzing insect...you'd best be saying WASP very loudly and clearly for a few days!!
    There's nothing like volunteer committee work. Does the Garden Club still have a Social Committee after that bald announcement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were walking with the right people when you came in contact with that awful wasp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually the take charge one-nice to know they can come through when they have to

      Delete
  3. Oh, those wasps! Thankfully you had someone that knew just what to do!
    And I'm sorry to report, but adorable grandchildren ALWAYS remember the things they shouldn't!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he is saving it for the most embarrassing moment possible.

      Delete
  4. Ah, well. Your grandchild will be mulling over the choice words uttered by grammy for quite some time. Those are the ONLY words they seem to remember! Wow. I would say, in this instance, that Social Chairperson is an oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you take on a role you are so unsuited for?

      Delete
  5. Oh what a bad and naughty wasp to sting without the slightest provocation! At least the fast reaction of those around you made it possible for you to carry on with what sounded a fantastic walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And why did it pick me out of the group

      Delete
  6. Oh Grammy - you didn't use the 'oh bother' word did you?! Good news the wasp sting wasn't as bad as it could have been. The Crazy Poodle stepped on a bee the other month and he cried the whole way home, limping on three legs - you did well :)
    Happy Wednesday!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately we haven't heard the word repeated. Poor poodle-he has my sympathy.

      Delete
  7. So sorry you got stung! Hope you are having a great weekend ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have tons of yellow jackets at the cabin, but my traps are keeping things in check. Last year Wayne got stung eight times while working on a trail above the cliff. I got two EpiPens to have on hand and I keep Benedryl in my backpack just in case. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to review my emergency supplies.

      Delete