Monday 5 March 2012

Appalachian Book Therapy


Despite the excitement of starting a new life, inevitably there are misgivings. Fortunately a friend dropped off a book that steadied my resolve.
  “Prodigal Summer” by Barbara Kingsolver follows three women over the course of one summer in Appalachia. Based on their opinions regarding the natural world, each made decisions outside the conventions of their community. It mirrored my own feelings about the arrogance of humans in thinking we are not all part of the same system.


 
www.niekamp.org
Coincidentally, a book which hid between the desk and the wall during the packing frenzy crawled out last night. “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson is an account of the author’s attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail. Hilarious to the point of helplessness it also raises questions about man’s place in the world.

I am supposed to be moving to Appalachia?     

9 comments:

  1. Maybe! Or maybe there's just something to be learned from both books. Canada to Appalachia is a big jump. Maybe it's the theme of the books as opposed to the location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including me in your Blog Picks of the Month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this picture and I love Appalachia.
    Thanks for joining Tropical Texana.
    I too love school gardens and know just how valuable they can be since I'm a teacher & gardener myself.
    Your wonderful blog will give me some good ideas.

    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to encourage children to come into my garden. It can get a little crazy at times but I love it just the same.

      Delete
  4. I love forest trails, the mystery of the next corner and the scent from the trees. I'll be checking back with you to get my Texas fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read both of these books fairly close to each other, as well as Charles Frazier's Thirteen Moons, my Appalachian trio. Of the three, I think Prodigal Summer was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thirteen Moons has been on my "to read" list for a few years. I must dust that thing off and start working through it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of Bill Bryson, Susan. If you haven't read it already his 'Notes from a Small Island' is excellent and very funny! Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband who came from Canada to the U.K. loved "Notes from a Small Island", he shared many of the same unsettling experiences. I read it many years later as an expat and can laugh at the foibles of my erstwhile countrymen, many are ooh so true.

    ReplyDelete