Saturday 15 June 2013

Pippin

I'm ecstatic.  While over at the new house, for yet another inspection, the owner walked me to the end of the meadow and pointed out two perfect Cox's Orange Pippin apple trees.


In my opinion the Cox is simply the best eating apple: aromatic, juicy, sweetly layered tones of flavour and a seductive appearance.

Cox orange renette2.JPG

Perhaps only another expat can relate to my joy and excitement. They are the scent radiating across dusty roads on still summer afternoons. Laden branches hanging over aged walls, waiting to be plucked by a homeward bound child.

Richard Cox planted two seeds in 1825, probably Ribston Pippin pollinated with Blenheim Orange although no records exist. They were commercially offered in 1840. At one time the Orange Pippin made up 70% of the total U.K crop, now about 40%.

Like so many varieties, it favours its own locality and it is said to 'grow of its best not much more than 100 miles from its birthplace in Colnbrook'. This has certainly been true in North America where it has failed to replicate the properties for which it is acclaimed. Thus I have been without its taste for three decades.

No disrespect to the Spartan apple but on tasting it for the first time I almost fainted with disappointment. My new Canadian family smiled encouragingly. I managed a weak smile. It dawned on me, my days of apple bliss might be over. Until now. I see some sort of pagan ceremony down in the meadow at harvest time. Slide into your diaphanous garments and meet me at dawn.

Advice Quotes

In addition to the two trees in the meadow there is a small orchard at the other end of the property.


Might not be doing the dance thing in here as it is close to the road.


Info: http://www.england-in-particular.info/orchards/o-cox4.html.

14 comments:

  1. I think dancing at harvest is a lovely idea. I think you should begin looking for tambourines now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about music. I wonder if my husband would dust off his accordian.

      Delete
  2. How awesome is this! I would be dancing for sure...as would my husband! Your land is sooooo outstanding and there is nothing better than fruit trees! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep discovering new things each time we go over. I will be on a huge learning curve where the trees are concerned.

      Delete
  3. This was meant to be! Hooray for you for waiting for just the right house/garden. They've been waiting for you, too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely to have your own apple tree. Our tree gives us so much apples every summer that we have enough apple sauce for the whole winter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cox Orange Pippin are not great for pies but they do mush up nicely for apple sauce.

      Delete
  5. Omigosh, tree treasure! Good radar on the garden buying... I don't know that apple but I know a happy reunion when I read about it. Your garden discoveries will continue for a full year at least I expect, serious fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is fun, even the mistakes.

      Delete
  6. How exciting! I hope your new apples taste just as you remember. It seems you are going to have some wonderful discoveries to find at your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like the orchard needs some love. Time to hit the books.

      Delete
  7. Do you think this is a divine thing? I remember before moving to our house asking God for a Japanese Maple. I wasn't all that serious and I certainly wouldn't have been too disappointed if it didn't happen. God has more important things to do, after all. But there it was, a gorgeous 'Sango Kaku' right by the front door. Without getting too religious or anything, I don't know if you asked for this tree of your childhood but I think it is a divine gift. I love it! Please share photos of the harvest and your party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, Do dreams really come true? I hardly dare plan ahead in case it breaks the spell.

      Delete