Saturday 7 February 2015

A Long Walk

Still at Hidcote. When you have 10 acres there is scope for a grand design. 







An opening in the hedge is one way to reach the swimming "pond". Major Johnston has been described as reclusive but he often invited friends over to enjoy the pool and to play tennis. The pool house has
murals painted by the Major, unfortunately they were in shadow and did not photograph well.


Below is the famous red border without much red in it. The blues are planted with the intention of contrasting and emphasising the red. It was one of the first "hot" borders in English garden design when it was planted in 1913.


Once you've walked up the slope turn for a stroll along the Long Walk. It does feel like it goes on forever especially if you have already been walking for hours.


Eventually you find a simple rustic gate


offering a  pastoral scene.



Next week some more flowers from Hidcote and then a visit to a much smaller and simpler garden.


12 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures but the wonderful pasture scene with the sheep, is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all the walking I was very ready to lean on the gate for a while.

      Delete
  2. Your photos certainly do the place justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine, I found it quite difficult to capture the scale of it.

      Delete
  3. English gardens are always so stately. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is certainly a history of grand gardens created when the gentry had great wealth and plenty of time.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I love that rustic area! I could not imagine having 10 acres!! I can't wait to see more Susan! Wishing you a great week! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed to be all the rage in that era to have a wild garden on the periphery of a much more formal area.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love these long views....just sent my soul soaring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lesson in focal points and how to draw the eye.

      Delete
  6. I spy with my little eye some cute little topiary birds... :) Wouldn't it be fun to be invited for tennis and a cool down (although does it ever get that hot in the UK?!) in the swimming pond!
    Have a great week!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were a little tougher in those days when it came to cold water. I wish iId been able to ask how they kept it clean.

      Delete