Sunday 29 November 2015

Madam President and the Fundraiser

Where has the time gone? Well I'll tell you. Most of it went to raising thousands of dollars for the new library. I never expected volunteering to become a full time, might I add unpaid, job. We rented a funky old bank building in the historic town site and filled it with 150 pieces of art. Each piece was on an eight inch square piece of canvas we had handed out to professionals and amateurs at the end of August. The idea captured the imagination of our little town.



Friday night was the kick off gala. Thursday morning the owner of the building realised he had no idea how to turn on the heating. Never had to before. Turns out it used to be heated by steam from the mill when the company owned the whole town. I must say discovering the old pipes was interesting but not helpful in any way.

photo by robert dall via wiki commons

We thought we had been very smart and counted the electrical outlets ahead of time. Of course we weren't smart enough to actually test them.... We ended up with a lot of extension cords and power bars; the art work required good lighting. Duct tape became our best friend.

With an anxious eye on the electrical panel we plugged in an electrical heater in the area screened off for volunteers and another in the ladies washroom because, believe me, that seat was freezing.

Then we advised everyone to dress up in their best mitts and woolly hats and come on down for the party.

It went well but oh the STRESS.

When I got home I made myself a cup of tea because that's what British people do. Then I spilt half of it down myself. Mopped up and then spilt the other half on the carpet. Then I went to the bathroom and remembered the toilet was blocked and I had to wander around the house to look for the plunger because why keep it in the bathroom where one might actually need it.

Tomorrow is pack up and clean day and then it is OVER!


15 comments:

  1. That was lots of work. What was the turnout like? We're out of town but saw the flyer online. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turn out was excellent. I was getting nervous we were going to go beyond the occupancy rate.

      Delete
  2. You have had a busy time - glad it went well for you - did you raise lots of money - hope so after all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did raise a satisfying amount. We are building a new library to replace the rabbit warren in the basement of City Hall.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. We are cut off by water and mountains from the mainland. The population knows if we want something we have to do it ourselves. These kind of fundraisers are well supported, thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. I hope you made lots of money for all that work! Great idea for a fundraiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made a goodly amount. We are thinking of doing just kids art next year, charge less money but make it a family event.

      Delete
  5. What? Does this mean you are Madam President of the library? What a spectacularly wonderful idea for a fundraiser! Hopefully, you packed in the crowds and everyone benefited from body warmth. Your tea episode sounds so like me... :) Put your feet up - you deserve a good rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreed to do the President thing at a very weak moment. I'll have a wee rest but mostly I'm excited to have time to get into the meadow.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm getting too old for all the excitement. Next year better be calmer or I'll need a rest home for several months.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like such a fantastic idea ! I can see why it ignited the imaginations of your town! Time for a well deserved break?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree..a great idea and lots of hard work....hope you are getting some time to yourself.

    ReplyDelete